Monday, July 20, 2009

A Smashing Wedding

The flight to London was fairly uneventful. Despite the three-foot sweels in turbulence due to a storm over New York, the Plane and I arrived in one piece... at 6:40 am. London is onlya 20 minute tube ride away from London's Kings Cross station, but I took my time. I walked around the station (from where Harry Potter goes off to school) and had breakfast before I was off to Cambridge. The way to cambridge was a pleasant train ride with only 5 people in my car. I was tired but determined to stay up and beat the jetlag. As the train pulled into the station, the rain began to pour. I phoned Marcus and he came to meet me at the station. With great coincidence, Eddie and his Fiancee, Shana, were only minutes behind us on the next train, so we all walked back to Marcus' apartment together.


After a short conversation and pit stop, we were off to Pub to get some lunch. We began with a quick pub lunch of pickle relish and cheese sandwichs. It was delicious with purple-vinegary pickle relish and coarse wheat bread. From there, we went towards the Cambridge campus. One of the benefits of being friends with a Cambridge student is that you can get into places like the King's College, which are normally reserved only for students. We were also able to enter the King's Chapel, which gave us a glimpse of the opulence of pre-modern Cambridge University life.

The town of Cambridge is beautiful, as well. Nearly every house or aparment has either a garden or a front-step flowerpot arrangement. Every garden has wildly lush, flowering trees and bushes, with vines and ivy crawling over centuries-old brick garden walls. We gladly waited a number of times while Shana took pictures.

After our brief tour of cambridge (and a stop-in to buy some REAL cinnamon bark) we went home to freshen up for the REAL pub outing. I am sure it was only a glimpse of what was to come the next day but I had a wonderful time with Marcus' friends and family, Eddie and Shana drinking pints and having a authentic Cambridge experience.Needless to day, Marcus was pretty tanked by the end of the night. I am still impressed at his fortitude on his wedding da;. It must be that remaining university spirit, still alive inside of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment